The Church has used three sets of mysteries for many centuries. The Mysteries of the Rosary are meditations on episodes in the life and death of Jesus. These cover the annunciation to the crowning of Mary. These are in groups of 5 mysteries in each set: the Joyful Mysteries, the Sorrowful Mysteries, and the Glorious Mysteries.
In 2002 Pope John Paul II proposed the fourth set of mysteries – Luminous Mystery of the Rosary or the Mysteries of Light.
On what days are the Mysteries of the Rosary prayed?
The Joyful Mystery of Rosary is prayed on Monday and Saturday, the Sorrowful Mystery of Rosary on Tuesday and Friday, the Glorious Mystery of Rosary is prayed on Sunday and Wednesday, and the Luminous Mystery of Rosary on Thursday.
What are the 4 Mysteries of the Rosary
- Joyful Mystery of the Rosary
- Sorrowful Mystery of Rosary
- Glorious Mystery of Rosary
- Luminous Mystery of Rosary
Joyful Mystery of the Rosary
1) First Joyful Mystery: The Annunciation of the Lord to Mary: Mary learns that she has been chosen to be the mother of Jesus.
2) Second Joyful Mystery: The Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth: Elizabeth recognizes Mary as the mother of our Lord.
3) Third Joyful Mystery: The Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ: Jesus is born in a stable in Bethlehem.
4) Fourth Joyful Mystery: The Presentation of our Lord: Jesus is presented in the Temple of Jerusalem.
5) Fifth Joyful Mystery: Finding Jesus in the Temple at age 12: Jesus is found discussing faith in the temple.
Sorrowful Mystery of the Rosary
1) First Sorrowful Mystery: The Agony of Jesus in the Garden: Jesus prays when confronted with the sins of the world in the Garden of Gethsemane on the night before he dies.
2) Second Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging at the Pillar: Jesus is lashed with whips before the crucifixion.
3) Third Sorrowful Mystery: Jesus is Crowned with Thorns: Jesus is mocked and made to wear a crown of thorns.
4) Fourth Sorrowful Mystery: Jesus Carried the Cross: Jesus carries the cross made to crucify him.
5) Fifth Sorrowful Mystery: The Crucifixion of our Lord: Jesus is nailed to the cross and dies for the humanity
Glorious Mystery of the Rosary
1) First Glorious Mystery: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ: God resurrects Jesus from the dead.
2) Second Glorious Mystery: The Ascension of Jesus to Heaven: Jesus returns to God his Father in heaven.
3) Third Glorious Mystery: The Descent of the Holy Ghost: The Holy Ghost comes to bring new life to the disciples.
4) Fourth Glorious Mystery: The Assumption of Mary into Heaven: The Virgin Mary dies is gloriously assumed into heaven.
5) Fifth Glorious Mystery: Mary is Crowned as Queen of Heaven and Earth: Mary is crowned as the Queen of heaven and Earth and honored above all creatures.
Luminous Mystery of the Rosary
1) First Luminous Mystery: The Baptism in the Jordan: God proclaims Jesus is His Son.
2) Second Luminous Mystery: The Wedding at Cana: Jesus performs his first miracle at a wedding.
3) Third Luminous Mystery: The Proclamation of the Kingdom: Jesus calls all to conversion and service to the Kingdom.
4) Fourth Luminous Mystery: The Transfiguration: Jesus is gloriously transformed.
5) Fifth Luminous Mystery: The Institution of the Eucharist: Jesus offers his Body and Blood at the Last Supper for our salvation.